Schipani and Norman, P.A.
Talk to an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today

How should I deal with visitation issues?

Even when one parent has sole custody of a child, the court will allow the other parent visitation. This is done so that both parents can develop a strong and loving relationship with the child, which is crucial to a happy and healthy life. However, many parents have issues with visitation that can be perplexing to address. Very Well Family offers the following advice, so you can take the proper steps to remedy visitation problems between you and your ex. 

What to do if your child refuses visitation

Because visitation is court-ordered, it's important to encourage your child to attend visits with the non-custodial parent. However, your child may refuse for a myriad of reasons, and it's important that these reasons are appropriately addressed. Barring instances of abuse or neglect, you should explain to your child how important it is to spend time with the other parent. Try to get to the bottom of the reasons why your child is expressing reluctance. You can also ask you ex for a break from visitation until your child feels more comfortable with the idea. 

How to handle parental no-shows

Many parents also face difficulty in getting the non-custodial parent to keep up with the court-ordered visitation schedule. This can be incredibly painful for the child at the center of the dispute, who will likely not understand why your ex refuses to attend visits. The first step is to reach out to your ex and communicate the damage no-shows cause your child. You can also contact the court to discuss your legal options. You may be able to revise the visitation schedule so that it's more amenable to your ex. 

What you should know about visitation & child support

Some parents withhold visitation due to unpaid child support. While lack of support is indeed frustrating, withholding visitation can leave you vulnerable to legal issues. The court looks at visitation and support as two separate issues and going against a court order is considered a serious matter. Your best course of action is to consult with your attorney when you face problems with custody or visitation, as your legal team may be able to develop an effective strategy. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Avvo Clients Choice | 2012 | Family Avvo Rating 10.0 | Superb | Top Attorney Family The American Society of Legal Advocates | 2014 Top 40 Under 40 The Florida Bar Certified | Marital and Family Law Super Lawyers | Philip J. Schipani | 2015-2017

Schipani and Norman, P.A.
1605 Main Street, Suite 1110
Sarasota, FL 34236

Phone: 941-549-8981
Fax: 941-366-7331
Sarasota Law Office Map