2 Signs Of Parental Alienation During Divorce

If you are in the middle of a bitter and painful divorce and you have kids, there is a strong possibility that their other parent will try to turn them against you. You may feel your children are old enough not to fall prey to your ex-partner’s tactics. But they are young, impressionable and not necessarily capable of knowing their other parent is manipulating them. 

Parental alienation is a big problem for some divorcing couples in Sarasota. One parent uses his or her kids’ love and affection against the other parent. The relationship between the victimized parent and her or his kids becomes toxic and hostile. Parental alienation is not something you should ignore. Here is a brief overview of warning signs that indicate your ex may be manipulating your kids. 

1. Badmouthing the other parent 

One early sign of parental alienation is bad mouthing the other parent. Pay attention to how your ex-partner talks to your kids. If you notice your ex or his or her family and friends making disparaging comments about you or insinuating that you do not love or care for children, you should seek out professional help from a counselor. You should also discourage your partner from using this type of behavior. 

2. Giving misleading information 

Another commonly used parental alienation tactic is when the manipulator provides the kids with twisted information regarding their situation. For example, your ex-spouse may tell your children that the courts are giving you primary custody because you do not want your kids to be with their other parent. Your children do not know that their other parent is playing games with them and misleading them. 

Parental alienation is a form of abuse that cheats the kids and their affected parent out of a healthy relationship. Instead of feeling loved, cherished and wanted by their parent, the kids learn to fear and dislike him or her. The effects are often devastating and can have a long-term impact on your children. 

If you suspect your soon-to-be ex-spouse is trying to alienate your children from you, you might want to speak to an attorney for guidance.