Attorney For Out-Of-State Custody Proceedings In Sarasota

Child custody issues can cross state borders when a custodial parent or parent with visitation rights relocates. Determining who has the legal authority to resolve custody and visitation disputes can be complex. If you have a child custody order from another state, but live in Florida, Schipani & Norman, P.A. offers legal advice and representation. We are in Sarasota and represent families throughout southwest Florida. We invite you to call 941-549-8981 to schedule a meeting.

What Is The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction And Enforcement Act?

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) is a uniform act that defines a child’s “home state” as the state where the child has lived with his or her parent for six consecutive months. The six consecutive months must conclude before the out-of-state custody dispute begins.

If the child has not lived in the same state with a parent for six consecutive months, there may be a dispute over jurisdiction. Our lawyers have experience working with clients in several states on child custody matters. Let us use our experience to help you.

These matters can seem confusing and frustrating. However, our lawyers can handle it for you. We understand your desire to protect the best interests of your children. We share this goal.

Our attorneys work to promote cooperation between states to determine where a child custody action should be heard. In many cases, we can document by email and perform mediations over webcam. We have experience handling these matters for our clients, and we encourage you to contact us if you need legal advice and representation in an out-of-state custody matter.

Contact A Florida Out-Of-State Custody Proceedings Attorney

Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays, but we are happy to meet during evening and weekend hours. Contact us to arrange a consultation.