Schipani and Norman, P.A.
Talk to an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today

Can you modify alimony after a divorce in Florida?

Divorce takes a big chunk out of your bank account and results in multiple major life changes. The combination of the two can make your finances a mess.

Whether you are the payer or payee, you may wonder if you can change the spousal support order to meet your changing financial needs. The answer is maybe.

Factors that affect alimony

First, know what factors the court considers in awarding alimony. There is no set formula, but the following usually influence the decision:

  • Marital length
  • Standard of living
  • Financial stability, earning capacity and resources of each spouse
  • Physical, mental and emotional health of each spouse
  • Marital contributions to education, career advancement, child care, etc.

Even adultery can affect spousal maintenance.

Types of alimony

Considering these factors, the judge will determine if you or your spouse needs spousal support, and if so, which type:

  1. Bridge-the-gap: This short-term assistance (maximum of two years) aids in the transition of divorce and cannot undergo modification of the amount or length.
  2. Rehabilitative: Its purpose is to help the spouse in need regain or obtain education, job skills and credentials. It can change or end when the spouse completes the rehabilitative plan, if the spouse does not follow the plan or if the spouse's circumstances significantly change.
  3. Permanent: Upon meeting specific criteria, one spouse may be eligible for permanent (but still alterable) alimony. This is more common in long-term marriages with older spouses.
  4. Durational: If the spouse does not qualify for permanent support, temporary support is the alternative. Modifying the amount is possible, but altering the duration is more difficult.

In addition, the payments may be ongoing or a lump sum.

Reasons for modifying alimony postdivorce

The type of alimony determines the ability to modify it. The ones that may receive modifications only can for limited reasons. The first is the death of either spouse. The second is remarriage or cohabitation of the recipient. The last is changes in financial conditions, such as a major decrease in income. If any of these situations apply to you, and your alimony type is eligible for modification, then you can pursue a change to the decree.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Avvo Clients Choice | 2012 | Family Avvo Rating 10.0 | Superb | Top Attorney Family The American Society of Legal Advocates | 2014 Top 40 Under 40 The Florida Bar Certified | Marital and Family Law Super Lawyers | Philip J. Schipani | 2015-2017

Schipani and Norman, P.A.
1605 Main Street, Suite 1110
Sarasota, FL 34236

Phone: 941-549-8981
Fax: 941-366-7331
Sarasota Law Office Map